Saturday, January 22, 2011

You might not finish this chapter...

I've gotten a lot farther in the book Crazy Love and am enjoying it just as much as the first time I read it, maybe even more. There is so much in this book that makes me think, sometimes it can be overwhelming. Every now and then I have to stop reading, put the book down, and really think about what I just read and how it applies to me.

The next chapter i started to read is called "You might not finish this chapter." Even though I have read this before, I could not remember what this one was about and so I was very anxious to know what Francis Chan meant by this title. So I read on and came to find that he was talking about how nobody knows how long they will live or when they will die. You could die tomorrow for all you know and today could be your last day. He tells a story about a 14 year old girl, Brooke Bronkowski, who was so in love with Jesus. When she was in middle school she started a bible study at her school. She spent her babysitting money on Bibles for people who did not have them. When she was 12 years old she wrote an essay which was written out in the book. As I read the essay I was amazed that a 12 year old wrote these things. She said things like "I will live my life to the fullest, I will tell others about Christ, I will be bold, I'll set an example for others, I will pray for direction, I will follow the footsteps of God, I will be one of those people who are history makers at a young age." Wow. That's all I have to say.

During her freshman year of high school, Brooke was in a car accident while driving to the movies, her life ended when she was fourteen. Nearly fifteen hundred people attended Brooke's memorial service. Everyone spoke of her love for God, her joy, and her great example. Francis Chan, the author of this book, did her funeral service and decided to share the gospel. There were around 200 students who stood up and for the first time accepted Christ into their lives. Brooke once said "I'll be one of those people who live to be history makers at a young age," and that she did. Her short life was not wasted, she led more people to Christ just by setting an example then most people do their entire lives. This story was just a reminder that we need to live every day full out for Christ because we never know when it could be our last. Brooke's story inspired me so much and reminded me of one of my favorite verses: 1 Timothy 4:12 "Do not let anyone look down on you because you are young, but set an example for the believers in speech, in conduct, in love, in faith and in purity" Obviously Brooke did not let people look down on her because she was young, she definitely made an impact and changed so many lives. 

No comments:

Post a Comment